Tuesday, January 19, 2021

How Do You Keep Track Of Your Stitching?

 I realized last year that I don't like how Facebook or Instagram keeps track of my images. If I want to see the work I have done or when I last worked on a piece, I poke around on my blog. Nothing against Facebook or Instagram. They have their place. But I like this blog for keeping track of my stitching.

I keep a paper notebook with information on my stitching.

Here is the outside:

And here is my notes from 2020:

I was doing WIPocalpse and I wanted to keep track of my work.

I have kept this notebook for years and I started it when I did the crazy 15 new starts in January.

January 2012

This year I am just listing the pieces I am working on as I go. You will notice a page number on the right.

 

 I numbered every page of the notebook and I place each piece on a page. I take notes(in theory) about each piece on its page. Most of the time it is just when I started and when I finished. But if I change a thread or do something different, I try to make a note. 

I also tried to Bullet Journal.


I would place a little mark when I would stitch on a certain piece. I found I did not like doing this and would often come to the end of the month without marking anything!

Some of you watch Brenda and the Serial Starter    .They are using this calendar to keep track of their pieces.



I decided to join them. I like jotting a little note that I stitched on a certain piece. My friend suggested using a different color pen for each piece I stitch. Great idea except I just used the pens I had at home! Next month I will try that idea.

I bought my stickers from Kawaii Pen Shop

They had some unusual ones along with some fun washi tape.It took a long time to arrive, but the stickers are great fun. But I think any you can find at your local craft store would work also. Next month I plan to use the ones I have from my scrap-booking days. 



So what do you use to keep track of your stitching?

5 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

That's a lot of tracking which will make lovely memories. I have pages on my blog where I list my finishes, they are also listed on Needlecraft Haven. I do have a notebook but it's mainly to jot down what I want/need to stitch, say for a gift or an exchange. I don't keep logs as I pick up my stitching as and when throughout the day so would be constantly adding 30 minutes here or there and that would then become a chore. I do admire all the lovely pie charts some stitchers do but although I like being organised it's not for me.

diamondc said...

Beth: Sad to say I do not keep track, I should start now, I like the idea of keeping track, thank-you for the link, what a cute site to buy from.

Catherine

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Queen of Organisation here!
Obviously my blog is my number one tool, I make use of the labels so I can easily go to any designer, project or SAL.
Then I have my Happy Dance blog for finishes, again labels for the designer and themes such as Autumn or Christmas. Information about fabric, any changes to threads and how it was fully finished.
I keep a daily diary where I jot down the focus project for the day plus any Starts and finishes. I also write down the SAL dates for my blog so I know when to post.
Photos are kept on a USB stick for my laptop in folders. Finishes go in a folder for the relevant year, WIPs go in a folder for each year too. Larger projects such as Discworld or my Chatelaine have a separate folder so I can easily find the progress photos across various years.
Then there's my spreadsheets, one for my Just Nan designs! And one for my WIPs so I can track when I started and finished each project.
I think that is it LOL. It sounds a lot but honestly, if you update as you go it doesn't take long.

Pamela said...

I'm not so organized, but I wish I were. My blog is my only record. On Wednesdays I do a Work In Progress Wednesday post about that week's progress. I try to post on Fridays about finishes and on Mondays with my paper piecing.

Leonore Winterer said...

I have a notebook with one page for each project I work on, keeping information such as size, designer, finishing, start and finish date, fabric and floss used and the total time needed to complete it. I take time using an app on my phone, so I always have an exact count for everything. For pics I mostly use my blog to keep a record of everything I do, but I'm trying to be more active on instagram too, just for the fun of it :)