Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Works in Progress

I have been busy trying to finish Gay Ann Roger's Mystery in a Corner. I am working on the border and when it is finished, I will post a picture.

This is a photo of Frog Pond, a Mill Hill bead kit. Yes, I almost always have at least one of their kits started. (Right now I have two.) I finished the stitching and need to add all the beads. My goal is to have it done before the first day of spring... Will I make it?

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Answer a few questions

Well Cynthia, I am not sure what color of Impressions I will be using. Although you can't tell by looking at the picture, there are some blue tones mixed in with the greens. My sil and I are going on a retreat in March and I will let her decide what she wants me to use. I was told I could use the Impressions for both the kloster blocks and the filler stitches. That would be nice as I hate it when they don't match!

As far as my crazy quilt goes- the shirt was my husband's work shirt. He was not happy to find it in my quilt, to say the least! But it was in my quilt because it was too tattered to wear anymore. (Actually, I took two shirts, but lets not tell him...) In my October square I used a pocket from a pair of pants my daughter wore everyday they were clean. Too tattered to pass on so I saved them for this project. She was happy to see them again, even if they are not wearable! The rest of the fabrics are just things I picked up. I have my January square ready to stitch; I just need to find the time!

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Dyeing Fabric

The Mississippi River Valley Chapter of EGA had an interesting challenge for the group this year. We were given a large piece of Hardanger fabric and challenged to make something with it. I knew exactly what I was going to do with it! My beloved sister-in-law is a minister and has been desiring a Hardanger stole. The fabric was perfect except for one thing-it was white and she wanted a green stole. (And I now know it is too short, but I will deal with that later.)

I did not want to use green thread on the white fabric so I needed to dye the stuff. The only problem was it is wool. (Very soft!) A friend had some dye but it was a cold water dye for cotton and linens. Here is a picture of it: I was given an extra piece of fabric to experiment with so I decided to try it. It took less than a teaspoon of dye to color the vat green:
I added 3 tablespoons of salt to activate the dye and allowed the fabric to soak overnight. Then I added baking soda to neutralize and set the dye. Then I rinsed the piece in cold water. To set the dye I heated my iron to high and while the piece was still wet, I ironed it. The kids said it stunk! (Think wet sheep!) Anyway, it seemed to work. I know my sister-in-law won't be getting the finished piece wet or dirty, but I did wash a small piece to make sure the color stayed. It did so I think I am ready to look for threads. Here is a photo:

I will probably use Impressions, but want to go to my LNS to check colors.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

November Beaded Journal project

I know I am a few months behind, but I am going to try to catch up. I enjoy doing the squares, but I often get side-tracked. I have been stitching on this piece in public and I get a lot of questions about it. Hopefully I will get two squares done this month and then I won't be so far behind.
I have a little time tonight and need to experiment with dyeing fabric for my EGA's year-long project. If I get anything done, I will try to take pictures and post.