Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Weekend Progress

Yes, it is Tuesday so I am a little behind. What else is new, right?
Ice dyeing is a fun way to get interesting patterns on your fabric. The fabric must first be prepared by soaking it in soda ash. This lowers the pH so the dye will adhere to the fabric. Then you place the fabric in a container and cover a part of it with either ice or snow. Then a small amount of powdered dye is sprinkled on top. More fabric is placed on top with ice and then dye. Sort of like a parfait.
I thought I might have photos of the process, but I don't. But Dharma does!  Dharma Ice Dyeing
Hope that helps!
I worked on my pumpkin this weekend. I started by basketweaving the lines, but the color was too dark.

 So I went with a lighter color and I think it looks much better.
 I have it where I can see it since I put it away to work on Tall Year Squared. I keep hoping that I can get this done this month, but I can tell it won't be done for a bit. Here it is on some lining fabric.


I think I want to do it all on one color and strangely enough, the purple looks the best to me. But it is snowing and I am tired. I may try to assemble the scissors fob, but the rest will have to wait until I meet up with my friends next week.

2 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The second colour on the Pumpkin looks much better, it tones well with the Bargello. Which is one of my favourite stitches!

I am also excited to see The Tall Year fully finished. I like the purple lining too.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh wow, the pumpkin looks awesome! I love that pattern you're using.