Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Jo's Postcard Request

This is not needlework related, but Jo from  Serendipitous Stitching    asked, so here it goes!
When I make postcards, I usually start with something that will be recycled. My dd was leading the art camp at our local library and had me gesso a million cereal boxes
Gesso is a primer that allows the paint to stick to the surface better. I have heard it described as underwear for paint.
The kids used pieces of them as their pallets and she had hoped THEY would make postcards from them. They used a bit of paint and had lots of little pallets left
 Normally I stencil the background and then cut the paper up, but these were already cut, so I will just stencil on them:
Some of my favorite stencils
 I then choose ephemera from my stash to use as a focal point. Stamps and magazines are my favorites:
 These are some that are almost ready to send.
I work in layers and a little at a time. These are close to be done, but need doodles, words or something. And I feel they could be sent as is. After all, one of these in your mail box is much more fun than a bill!
 Kitten Stitcher   on Youtube suggested (several videos back) that we send cards out. After watching that video, I have been trying to mail a card out a week.   With all the craziness in the world, a little card in the mail seems like a good idea.                 

2 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for sharing the process. You are right, it's so nice to receive hand made mail!

Leonore Winterer said...

Love your cards - what a fun and creative process! I like the idea of sending out more cards. It's always so nice to receive some friendly mail.