Friday, October 30, 2009

Last night my guild met to stitch on the Heirloom Sampler, but I have a nasty cough and decided to keep my germs to myself. I did manage to get a little stitching done on the piece, but I had trouble with the Glorianna silk. It frayed and split on me. Yes, even though it was only one strand, it was difficult to control. My kids thought it was funny that I only got that little bit done. I decided to change my rotation a bit and stitch on the Heirloom Sampler in the morning and the rabbit in the evening. Larger count and not as stressful to do.

So I took another photo to show I am making progress.
Well, back to school and basting for the pilot class.

5 comments:

Tonya said...

Very nice! What pilot class?

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Beth, I use Gloriana silk a lot and haven't had any fraying or splitting, whether I am using one ply or six. I wonder if it would help if you tried the next largest size needle? I don't remember what could you are working on and I don't think linens are as abrasive as NP canvas, but that might help. Are you using a short length? I never cut a length of thread longer than 18 inches.

I don't know what the problem is but maybe this will help and make this a fun project, not a frustrating one.

Beth in IL said...

Tonya,
No, I am not learning to fly!!! I am helping a needlework teacher check her instructions:it is called piloting a class.

Jane,
I forgot two things when I started this piece: I need to be careful of the direction of the silk fiber and I need to use shorter lengths. Once I did those things, it was much better. Also working on it first thing in the morning helped too. I was much less stressed.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Glad you were able to tame the Gloriana silk. It's a lovely thread.
Jane/CH

Tonya said...

cool, thanks for the info did you get a email from carpage? I think no one got it. I am trying to get ahold of them.