Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Why I hire a Finisher

As I promised, here are some photos of my attempt at finishing. A friend told me I could do it and that I should lace (not glue) the ornament together. She gave great advice, but it was wasted on me! I sewed some edging around my ornament, after I had trimmed the excess canvas off. But I cut too close to my stitching and somehow missed some of the edging while sewing and soon my santa was unravelling. Horrors! But I remembered that Pat and Jane both used glue so you KNOW what I pulled out....Yes, my glue. I was ready to cry at this point. All that stitching and time and money down the drain. But I took the advice that I always give my kids when they get frustrated: take a break. The next morning I was calmer and decided that I had no choice but to use glue for the project. It did not make me "bad"-just a lousy finisher!

I did sew the cording around the front, because I wanted to cover as many mistakes as possible. But the back was another matter! These last two pictures do not show the horrible job I truly did.


I ended up having to add another piece of cording around the back to cover some of the problems.
Yes, I used glue! This piece will never be shown at the state fair or at my local guild, but I did finish the piece and I will hang it in my home!
The moral of this story is find a good finisher!


3 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Sweetie, it looks fine to me. How often will anyone look at the backside? If it bothers you, plaster a charm over it or maybe a nametag with the date and your initials. Finishing isn't hard but you do have to go slowly and think through each step before you take it. Practice does make you better--you learn what your common mistakes are and learn strategies to avoid them.

Jane, who likes to a) forget ornament tags to hang them from and b) to glue her hair to something in CH LOL

Cyn said...

Hi Beth,

You tried and that's the important thing!

There are things that I will finish myself and there are other projects that I will send out to a finisher. After so much time and money spent on some of my stitching projects, I can easily justify sending it out to a professional finisher. Especially since I don't want to learn how to finish on an expensive project as I would usually rather be stitching. Plus the professional finishers and frames have tools and supplies for finishing and framing that I don't have around the house. :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

NCPat said...

Beth, it also looks fine to me!! You are worrying too much about the back! Like Jane and Cyn, we a) keep trying, and b) send the major projects out to get done!